When contacting me for work on an index, please provide the following information.
- Subject or title of book
- Approximate number of pages
- Expected date of delivery of chapter PDFs to me
- Date you need delivery of index
When working on an index, I follow a set of index specifications. If you can provide the specifications that you want (for example, a sample index that you like), I will follow that. If not, I can suggest the specs that will work best for your book. Index specifications include the following:
- Which type of index format: indented or run-in?
- Which type of alphabetization: word-by-word or letter-by-letter?
- What is depth of indexing: how many levels are allowed?
- What is format for cross-references?
- Are footnotes indexable?
- Are illustrations indexable?
- Is there a length limit to final index?
I am available to review the layout of the completed index after your layout designer puts the index into a PDF file.